So this week we had our first ward activity in forever! Actually it was just a simple movie night, we put on WALL-E and served popcorn with soda. An inexpensive activity, but a good one to get things going here! We had two of our investigator families there, which was good because we want to get them familiar with the chapel. We talked to the bishop about starting to do a small family night every Saturday night at the church, and he agreed. We´re starting it in January because the end of December tends to be pretty hectic. We have a ward Christmas program coming up on the 23rd, so we're preparing for that and inviting people to come!
With the investigators, things are going really well! The M family came to church yesterday on their own! It was exciting for me because usually the people who say that they´ll come have some mysterious ´´difficulty´´ which prevents them from ever arriving! But they came. And stayed for sunday school. I was happy. We also are working with one of our members´ husbands who has been going to church for quite some time. He seems to have a drinking problem, but being in Guaranda for six months has given me experience with alcoholics. We just have to be sure not to underestimate his addiction, because it is usually something very strong. We're going to help him though.
As far as the rest of the work, it hasn't been easy here, but we´re seeing lots of blessings. It just depends on my diligence! I´m happy that Elder Sotomayor came to the zone last week because now I´m not the oldest one anymore! When people ask me how much time I have, I respond, ´´a little more than a year´´. I also hid my calendars in my suitcase! I´ve been working on getting referrals from the members because it´s a more effective way to work. We got six yesterday, including a family of five. Sure beats door-knocking. I realize now that it´s kind of a last resort. We have been having success just chasing down families in the street. We do a lap or two around the center of town, and usually manage to chase down two or three families. I´m grateful for the narrow sidewalks here. Makes it easier to corner the people. I don't think we scare them too badly! Besides that, we have been having a lot of support from our mission leader and the other returned missionaries in the ward. We´re lucky to have them!
As for the trip... let me see. Personally, I would really like to go to church in Guaranda, if that would be possible. Kind of far from Otavalo though. Do you want to go to the market? It´s pretty hectic, and for me it´s just a bunch of overpriced tourist stuff. But if you would like to go Saturday that would be fine. I want to talk to my old ward mission leader there and see if he would have some free time on that day. Can you think of some things to do in Esmeraldas? I don´t really know of many activities there because we just played soccer every single Monday. Maybe you could look into that. Also, the first card you send came. About a month and a half late, but it came. So I´ll just hang on to the old one and we´ll figure out what to do when the new one comes! That should work out well. So that´s all for now! I hope that everything is going well, that the leg is healing the members are working, and that everybody is healthy and happy! Talk to you next week!
Love,
Elder Wallace
0 comments:
Post a Comment