Monday, May 17, 2010

It's Been a Month!


Hey everyone! 
 
I have now been in Ecuador for about a month now!  It´s been a pretty great week, mostly because I have the whole routine down pretty well!
 
Investigators...  We challenged a couple, Sixto and Janet Lopez, to prepare to be baptized on June 12!  They´re great.  We taught them about sacrifice and how it is necessary to living the way that Christ would have us live.  Elder Fuentes told the story about the rich ruler who didn´t want to give up his posessions.  Sixto got a little confused, but I managed to explain to him that we don´t have to sell everything we have, we just have to be willing to put Christ first in our lives and not love anything else more.  Andrés and Nicól are going to be baptized this Saturday!  They´re both doing well.  Andrés is going into the millitary a week later, so we´re making sure that we can have someone keeping contact.  There are always trials once a baptismal date is set, but it is worth it in the end. 
 
Got a bit of bug on Friday, but I think I´m finally over it now.  Makes things a bit inconvenient.  And dad, thank you for the cipro!  It worked the best I think.  Pepto-bismol runs out too fast, and coke makes my companion think that I´ve apostatized.  But yeah, it´s all good now.  I think I´ve had more varieties of fruity drinks than I´ve ever had in my entire life!  I like the mango-y ones the best.  Chicken feet in my soup has become the norm.  I don´t even really think about it anymore.  I actually got a chicken head in one bowl. 
 
We went down to the mission offices today.  I´m so grateful that my area is higher up in the mountains, because it was HOT!!!  Probably the most interesting part of the day was when our zone leaders called us and told us that Peru had shot a missile into Ecuador.  A lot of hype about that throughout the whole mission.  Turns out it was only a threat, nothing more.  At least I hope it´s nothing more!  It was intersting at the offices.  Met a lot of other missionaries.  Things are going well.  Some lady tried to show us ´seven contradictions between the bible and the book of mormon.´  Turned out to be a bunch of half-hearted complaints put together by a bunch of ´religion professors´ who obviously have never read the book of mormon.  Their doctrine would make life very convenient, but it´s still false (too bad for them).  That´s probably about the only opposition from others that we´ve had.  Just remember how lucky we are to have the truth in our lives!  That´s all for now!  Pasen bien!
 
Love, 
Spencer 

0 comments: