Monday, October 18, 2010

First Week With A Greenie

Buenas Tardes once again! 
 
This has been a crazy week!  I thought my last transfer as a senior companion was a bit stressful, but I had never imagined being a trainer.  I guess I´ll have a lot to learn!  Seeing as this was a very eventful week, I will give a day-by-day synopsis!
 
Monday:  I left Esmeraldas early in the morning with the other missionaries that were getting greenies and began the 7 hour bus ride to Quito.  A lot of sleeping.  We got off the bus in Quito and it was COLD!!!  Made me miss home a bit, but it was still nice to get out of the heat for a while.  We met up with some other missionaries and went to stay in their apartments for the night.
 
Tuesday:  We had our trainers´ orientation.  It was pretty large, since there are 27 new missionaries that have come!  A lot of familiar faces, missionaries that I worked with in the past months.  But not as nice as the pizza!  I really can´t remember the last time I had pizza.  It sure beats rice though!  That night I worked with the area of Oriente Quiteño, where my old zone leaders are. I just about died, my chest hurt so bad!  There´s pretty much no air up there!  The trip from sea level to 10,000 feet can be a bit tiring! 
 
Wednesday:  We went back to the chapel for the last orientation, this time with the new missionaires.  I met my new companion, Elder Diaz!  He´s from Peru.  We have been getting along great, and he is willing to work hard.  I sure got lucky!  The only part I didn´t look forward to was 7 hours back to Esmeraldas!  We finally made it home, although late at night.  Thus began my transfer as a trainer.  My trainer Elder Fuentes, as they say in the mission, has ´died´ (finished his mission and gone home).  Pretty crazy how quickly the time goes.
 
Thursday:  Weekly planning and district meetings!  Half of our zone is now made up of new missionaries.
 
Friday:  A good day working.  A lot of rejection, but we did get some baptismal dates set.  That always makes the day worth it.  The bad news is that our running water has cut out.  We´re now bathing with those big water jugs.
 
Saturday:  Regular work day, still no water.
 
Sunday:  A whole bunch of our investigators came to church today!  Even some of the inactive members decided to come today!  All I can say is that I was super happy to  see so many of them there! 
 
Monday:  Another P-day!  We´re enjoying the rest, and trying to get a hold of the landlady to find out what is wrong with the water!  We´re getting ready for a family night with some members and investigators.  I´m going to make German Pancakes!  I also learned something really important this morning that I´m going to share with all of you.  It´s in the story of Ammon and Aaron, the sons of Mosiah, and their experience with King Lamoni´s father. Ammon, after being attacked by this king, could have killed him but chooses not to.  The king pleads for his life, offering anything up to half of his kingdom.  The interesting part is when the king is speaking with Aaron, Ammon´s brother.  Aaron explains the Plan of Salvation to the king, who desires to have eternal life, or in other words, to live in the presence of God.  He says he will give up everything and abandon his kingdom to gain such a gift.  It really makes one think about how precious the gospel really is and how much we need it.  This king valued salvation more than he valued his own life.  Sometimes we take for granted what a great opportunity we have knowing what we know.  Hopefully we can all be a little more greatful for the light that we have in our lives.  
 
Anyway, that´s how my week went!  Hope all is well at home and with all the other missionaries!
 
Love,
 
Elder Wallace 

0 comments: