Monday, October 4, 2010

A Week Of Civil Unrest!

Buenas tardes everybody!  Interesting week this time, so here goes!

Everybody who asked questions about problems here in Ecuador, who heard correctly!  Apparently President Correa proposed some sort of plan that would cut the salary of all the cops around here.  So the cops got mad and they all went on strike, which made everything super dangerous since there wasn´t anyone to keep the peace (that´s sometimes not even possible around here when there ARE cops, but it was safer before).  We also heard that the president was stuck in the hopsital for some surgery and couldn´t leave because everyone was trying to kill him.  Just chaos everywhere.  I love Latino governments... so much more intersting with all the disorder and the violence... But sarcasm aside, we got a bunch of new temporary rules to keep us safe, like going back to the house at 6 instead of 9.  I´ll tell you what, that just about drove me crazy!  It was usually fine until about 7:30, then I was just bored out of my mind.  Makes me wonder how I ever spent that kind of time in the house before I left!

Conference was pretty great.  We got to watch it in the chapel.  I got really lucky along with the other 4 American missionaries in the zone because they hooked up conference in English in the clerk´s office!  I was glad to be able to hear their actual voices instead of some nasally translator guy!  They spoke on a lot of great things, like the importance of following the prophet.  My favorite was President Benson´s quote that they used about prophets - ¨follow them and be blessed, reject them and suffer.¨ Nice and direct!  Also a lot of good things on being a good parent, also about ´acting and not being acted upon´.  I also enjoyed that family history talk by Elder Gong.  I am now toying with the idea of naming my kid ¨First Dragon Wallace¨.  What do you think?  Well... maybe not.  

Anyway, thank you everyone for writing, and for your support!  Love you all!  This is the last week of transfers, so that will always be exciting to see what happens!  We also challenged four people to baptism yesterday, and they accepted!  That was a great relief for us!  Shows that whatever happens, you just have to keep going and the Lord will reward you in His own time.  Hope all is going well with everybody!  

Love,

Elder Wallace  

0 comments: