Monday, October 25, 2010

Week #...Well Actually I've Lost Track!

Buenas tardes from Esmeraldas!
It´s been a great week! We had two baptisms this Saturday! Their names are Ruth and Jerelyn, two sisters. It felt good to finally have some results of our work! Now we just need their parents and their older cousin to all get married so that they can be baptized too. Which makes like... 5 different couples that we´re teaching who need to get married. That´s life on the coast!
What to talk about this week... we´re teaching this young couple, Daniel and Karen. They´re pretty great. They´ve come a really long way since we started teaching them. In fact the only thing they lack is... you guessed it... getting married. You know that scripture in 2 Nephi 31 that mentions something about following Christ with full purpose of heart? I think that describes them very well. We also are teaching a lady named Julieth, from Columbia. She finally prayed on her own the other day!!! I was SUPER happy that day! I´m glad to have all of them to teach. It´s such a relief teaching them because we´ve been running into lots of excuses with everyone we talk to. You would be surprised how ´busy´ the people get when we come to the neighborhood. I´ll tell you about a conversation we had with an old Catholic lady the other day. Rather amusing:
Elder Wallace: So, Señora So-and-so, when can we come another time to talk more?
Lady: Well, the thing is, I´m Catholic and I can´t change religions.
Elder Diaz: That´s okay, we can share a short message with you anyway.
(At this point a look of desperation settles over the lady´s face as she realizes that her professed allegiance to the Catholic religion isn´t going to make us go away. She struggles for words as she tries to make another excuse).
Lady: Well, what happens is that sometimes I´m at home, but sometimes I´m not, because maybe my neighbors or one of my friends will ask me to come over and I´ll have to go over there and so I wouldn´t be in the house and you wouldn´t be able to come visit me because sometimes I´m not at home. And I would be lying if I said I would be at home and lying is bad.
And that´s the nature of many of our contacts. I wonder if they know how silly their excuses sound. Oh well. That´s the opposition I guess! We just move on and give others their opportunity, and eventually get accepted by a wonderful family that´s prepared to receive the gospel! That´s the great part. Elder Diaz is doing very well, and the two of us are getting a lot done. I learn from him as well because he´s had less time to forget the things that they teach in the MTC! Anyway, that´s about all. Great job to everyone in all of your sports/races/activities and whatever else you´ve been up to! I did hear about the ´death´ of Elder Law. I see we´ve already got Nate speaking in missionary slang! Ha! You wouldn´t believe what the people here pick up from the missionaries. Have to be really careful! Anyway, we´re headed out now. We´re going to meet up with Elder Hendrickson and his companion to go on a bit of a scenic hike because my area is right on the beach! I´ll try to get lots of pictures! Take care everybody!
Chao chao!
Elder Wallace

0 comments: