Monday, November 22, 2010

Transfers!

Buenas Tardes from Esmeraldas!
 
Transfers today!  We lucked out and nobody in our district has to go anywhere.  I kind of like it better that way.  Less packing and freaking out about where everyone is going.  Also no need to spend any money.  So ready for this week´s news?  You sure?  Ok!
 
So we have had a lot of zone activities this week.  The first one is called an ´invasion´.  Always fun.  We all went to the area where the sister missionaries work and contacted everyone we could in the space of two hours.  Elder Diaz and I had a pretty great experience, a lady let us in and told us that her oldest son had died.  Then she said her deepest desire was to see her son again.  Of course we were all over that and explained everything to her, that it will be possible.  That helped me remember why I´m here.  I´m also greatful we had that experience because we kept running into JW´s for the rest of the morning.  That always worries me because Elder Diaz is very persistent, which is good thing unless we meet a contentious person.  Luckily we prevented any bashing and made it back safely!  
 
The second activity that we did yesterday was a presentation in the central park.  We set up placards (I had to look that up, so sorry if it´s wrong!) with questions and pictures about various gospel topics.  Then we tried to get as many references as possible.  That went rather well because lots of people go to the park Sundays.  The only opposition we had was a little boy who kept throwing crabs at us.  Odd little child.  Who throws crabs at random people at the park?  Still a lot of things I don´t understand about the people!
 
Yesterday we had ten investigators show up to church!  In our tiny ward, that was a pretty big deal.  We´re teaching a lady named Martha, along with her kids and some of her grandchildren.  She´s very receptive and has accepted a baptismal date in December!  A major obstacle here with baptisms is that the people don´t get married.  But Martha is married!  The other major obstacle is that the men here are pretty abusive and like to dominate over their ´wives´ (at least that´s what they would be if they would marry them).  We got super lucky this time!  Turns out Martha dominates over her husband.  Good deal.  It felt great marching into the chapel with a big ol´ parade of investigators!
 
As for the house... the member who was going to help us move had a problem - his truck broke down!  We could move some things, but I´m loathe to move into the new apartment without a fridge!  Hopefully by the end of the week.  There´s a national census this Sunday and I don´t want to spend the whole day in our current appartment!
 
So there you have it.  The story of this week.  I will be here in Regocijo for Christmas!  (I hope!).  I will try to send some photos if I can.  And if I don´t forget my camera.  And if the computers here will recognize the format.  I think it will be good though.  So take care everyone, and talk to you next week!
 
Chao!
 
Elder Wallace

0 comments: