Feliz Carnaval everybody!
What´s ´carnaval´, you´re asking? I didn´t know either! Turns out to be a big week-long celebration that the people in Ecuador do every March. I´m still not sure what they are celebrating, but they get pretty wild! They throw water at you, spray foam stuff, have parades every day, and drink a lot. Personally, I kind of think that they just had too long of a wait in between Valentine´s day and Easter, so they invented a holiday to fill in the gap! Others tell me it´s some kind of native celebration. Whatever the case, it sure makes missionary work hard! We had investigators stuck at work, investigators off visiting family, and even one in jail. It was a tough week, but we made it through! Tomorrow the festivities are going to calm down, and we can have some peace!
This week we worked very hard with an investigator named Ana. She and her husband own a restaurant where they sell encebollados (look it up, they´re super delicious!). Anyway, her husband is inactive and they need to get married. We had so much difficulty with the husband because he didn´t seem very interested. But now, he has expressed desires to start coming to church again, and they are going to get married this Friday! We were really happy when they told us that they aren´t drinking coffee anymore! That was another challenge. We actually confiscated two jars of coffee from them before they decided to leave it!
Apart from that, we´ve just been dodging water balloons, avoiding large crowds, and teaching all the people that will listen to us! We also visited the Indian ´Guaranga´. But yeah, I´ll show you some pictures! Here you go!
Love,
Elder Wallace
We take the bus everywhere. I think I´ve had several near-death experiences on the buses here! The drivers talk with their friends, eat lunch, text, and drive all at the same time! My companion goes with me to the meetings in Riobamba (two hours away) but when the meetings are in Quito I go with the other district leader in our zone. The apartment is good, and the food is very similar to my other areas. Not as much fish now.
How are your referals working out? The referrals are going well, for the other missionaries that is. None of the people we talked to lived in my sector! That´s okay though, because we´re in the same branch.
What is your companion like? My companion is very friendly, he tends to think that I´m a bit uptight, but he´s starting to be more agreeable, especially with the mission rules.
Are you getting along well? It gets better every week!
What is your apartment like there? The apartment has running water all that time! Also electricity all the time!
What is your ward like? It´s a branch, but it´s even stronger than my ward in Esmeraldas was. The people here just have a lot more incentive.




0 comments:
Post a Comment