Monday, August 29, 2011

Some Details...


Hey Everybody!  

Time for a longer, more detailed email!   

About Otavalo... Like I said, our ward is indigenous, but they still speak a lot of Spanish.  Only the testimony meetings are usually entirely in Quichua.  The majority do understand Spanish, so we only occasionally have to take a translator along with us.  It usually helps a lot to have members with us.  We had two baptisms this weekend!  Their names are Jose and Delia, and they´re a young couple.  Delia´s brother is a very active member, so he was a lot of help.  He´s also very happy now because his entire family is getting baptized bit by bit.  We are now working on finding a lot more people because we haven´t had many lately.  (By the way, I´ll send pictures when my comp´s camera gets debugged.  My battery died).  Apart from that, we are working with Jose and Rocio, a couple who attends church a lot.  Jose is a member, and Rocio is an investigator.  They need to get married, but Jose is having trouble finalizing his divorce with another woman.  We went to visit them with several missionaries (a new program we´re using in the zone) and talked about their situation.  They´ve been struggling for about five years with the divorce problem.  Turns out they can get married when the divorce gets validated, but first they have to pay a deposit to the lawyer.  So we talked about doing some kind of fundraiser to help.  They´re good with the idea, so now we just have to put it into action.  It´s time for the both of them to progress.  We also had the help of Tasca, a returned

sister missionary from Canada.  Had to do a bit of translation, but she was a great help.  Interesting how many people you run into here.  There are a lot of people involved in something called OSO, which is some orphanage program they do here.  A few weeks ago I ran into some people from Bountiful.  Did I mention that?  Pretty interesting seeing all the people who come here to visit.  Most of them are German tourists, so they´re the only people I can´t understand at all!   

The work is going well.  Once we start teaching and fellowshipping the investigators, they tend to be pretty firm.  The challenge is getting them up to that point!   

I think this email was much better, don´t you?  Now I expect a good email in return!  I know you´ll send a great one!  Just one rule... we´re going to ban soccer camps as an email subject.  Sound good?  Talk to you later! 

Love, 

Elder Wallace






Shakira's baptism.


Our zone.






Jose and Delia's baptism.

0 comments: